Friday, December 31, 2010

A Rough Start to the Last Day

Mike: "So, how did it go?"
Me: "Oh, I passed out."

That's how the last day of 2010 began for me.  A little background for you.  About a month ago or maybe a little more, I went to a new doctor for a get-to-know-you meeting.  Before an official check-up, she wanted me to have a routine blood test.  No problem for most people.  Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people.  I have a thing about blood, blood and needles even more so.  So I put it off.  it didn't need to be done on New Year's Eve.  I'm sure my doctor was confident it would be done well before today.    She was wrong.  I waited until I thought I could wait no more and reasonably expect that she would have the results for my appointment in a couple of weeks.  Add to my fear (rational or irrational) that I had to fast for 12 hours prior to the test.  I don't do well without food.   Ask Mike.  To add insult to injury, my mom also told me that included tea.  What?!  But I always make myself a cup of tea once the boys are in bed.  Every night.  Without fail.  Okay, fine, no tea but I'm going to be there first thing in the morning.

Fast forward to this morning.  I sleep in a little bit because if I wake up at my usual time, I'm going to want coffee. I arrive two minutes after the lab opens.  As the technician leads me to the room and I sit, I explain to the poor woman that I'm not very good at this.  "Do you faint?"  "Not usually, as long as I don't watch.  Please don't be offended that I can't look at you."  Snap of the blue elastic band.  Using her fingers, she looks for a vein.  Not that arm.  yes, this is the arm.  I look in the opposite direction.  I'm looking at the table holding the items she needs.  Not good.  Close my eyes.  Breathe.  It doesn't hurt but I know what she's doing.  Deeper breaths.  "Just so you know, I'm feeling a little faint."  "Do you want me to stop?"  "No, I just want to get this over."  Go to my happy place.  I don't know where my happy place is at this moment.   Next thing I know my head is between my feet and there is an ice pack on the back of my neck.  There is now a second technician there.  "I'll put the tape on but I don't know if it's going to stick.  She's so sweaty.  I'll get her a lollipop."   After ten minutes, I feel much better.  I thank them for their kindness and leave a little more humbled.  As mike said, i did get a lollipop out of it.

One short half an hour is not going to ruin my day.  After breakfast, we go for a walk.  I think the chickadees knew I had had a rough morning, even if it was my own fault.

While others will be raising a glass to the new year, tonight I will be raising my mug of tea.  Happy New Year!


  1. I can so relate to this! Glad it's over. The pic of the chickadee is amazing. . . a nice consolation. Happy New Year. Here's a raised mug of tea to you!

  2. I can totally relate to this too. HATE blood work, although I've never passed out. I'm sorry for your experience. You have a good sense of humour though and handled this beautifully.

    And btw - I always make a tea one Isaac is in bed too. It's the main part of my evening ritual. :)

    Happy New Year to you. We will be drinking tea and staying in too. Thinking of you. xo

  3. heheh! happy new year tara! sorry you fainted today... glad you toasted the new year with a cuppa tea! i did too... : ) love the little chickadee..

  4. You poor thing...I feel for you. What a way to spend your last day of the year. Yuk! I hope you enjoyed your tea last night. I had an extra glass of bubbly just for you! ;-)

  5. Oh I'm a big fainter to *grin*. The last time I had blood work done I was 9 months pregnant and it was mandatory as part of registering at the hospital for my c-section and I ended up with ice packs on my neck and nurses with juice boxes trying to bring me back to life LOL.
    Happy new year to you and your family :)


Thanks for leaving a comment.