Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ice and Swans


What began as a trip to the grocery store became a trip to the lake as we stepped outside and realized what a beautiful morning it was.  I grabbed my camera, we stopped for muffins and then walked down to the lake.


We may not have much snow here yet but it has still been cold enough to turn the lake shore into an ice shore.


The boys were pretty excited by the crunchy ice and we didn't move far from this spot.





Did you know that two boys, aged almost 5 and 6 and a half, don't believe their mother when she tells them the rocks might be slippery and that if they get too close to the edge, the ice might not hold their weight?  It's true.  They don't believe her until they try it themselves.  Fortunately, no one was lost in the lake.





The numerous swans, geese and ducks thought the boys were throwing food in the water, not ice.  It didn't take long before we had many visitors.  this juvenile swan was especially interested in Keegan.




Impromptu outings.  My favourite.

7 comments:

  1. Amazing in so many ways. The feathery looking ice in one picture fascinates me. Also, the story makes me miss my days with a younger brother who also would have been curious enough to go to the edge. Now he's a careful husband and dad:) The swan so close to your son--wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how little snow you have. You and the boys should come for a visit. We have TONS of snow. :)

    My boy doesn't believe me about anything either. (almost 4 1/2) Nope, they really need to experience things for themselves to be sure. I get that; people can tell me stuff too, but unless I verify it by my own hand, I just don't buy into it. I try to remember this when I'm faced with Isaac not listening. Not as easy as is sounds though.

    Impromptu outings are my fav too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!
    Looks like a fantastic way to spend the morning...and yes what is it with boys...they must always figure everything out for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me the impromptu outings are one of the biggest advantages to being an at-home mom. It's just a little easier to do when you have more time.

    And you basically dared them to go out on the ice :) Yup, boys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos of the boys. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just popping back to wish you and your family a Happy New Year!
    I hope 2011 brings many wonderful things for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like a beautiful sunny day on the shore, if a bit chilly! boys always need to test things out for themselves, don't they?

    also, glad you are getting a warm cup of tea after your trip to the clinic (the above post) - and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.