Saturday, September 18, 2010

Exploring Crawford Lake

Today we explored Crawford Lake on the Niagara Escarpment near Milton, Ontario.   This beautiful deep lake is near a reconstructed native Iroquoian village.  We arrive and the boys just run.



They explore long houses, sweat lodges, archaeological digs and the forest floor.  The Big Guy was fascinated with the pine needles and the mound that he could build with them.  We left the mound thinking that a little rabbit may just make his home there tonight.



While they snacked, I did a little exploring by myself.  These funeral pyres are in a large meadow away from the long houses.  Each time I visit the village, something draws me to them.  May be not surprising that I also live across from a cemetery.





Then, upon insistence from the little people, we explored the visitor's centre with its crafts, displays and gift shop.  (We can't forget the gift shop.  I think Keegan has a built-in radar for gift shops.)  Finally, we dragged these poor little monkeys for a hike around the lake.  Every visit, we seem to have to convince them to go for a hike and by the time we reach the lake, we are running to keep up with them, fearful that one of them is going to end up in the lake head first.



Near the end of the hike, we spied this old guy in the lake.  I don't know if you can see it in the picture but there appears to be algae growing on his shell.  And what did the boys christen him?  Mr Algae, of course.



After all that exploring, we had worked up quite an appetite.  We stopped for burgers and fries, too many fries.  I have to stop eating Quinnie's leftovers.


I managed to squeeze in a little bit of knitting on the drive home.  I'm working on a new slouchy hat for the shop.  Hope to have it listed in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment.