Thursday, September 23, 2010

My Grandmother's Squares



Hello Dolly squares -- layers of graham cracker crumbs, butter, coconut, chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk.  I can't make these squares without thinking of my grandmother.  Homemade bread also makes me think of her.  It's funny how you can forget the name of someone you met yesterday but you don't forget a really good cookie or the person who made it for you, especially when that person was part of your world.

Today both of my little men are in school.  Upon waking, Keegan asked if it was the weekend yet.  And Quinn, well, to say that Quinn was reluctant to walk through the gate at school would be an exaggeration.  He just did not want to go today.  I haven't stopped thinking about him all day and the way he tried to walk away from his teacher, thinking she might not notice.  I didn't leave quickly, afraid that he would turn around and see that I had left.  I also didn't want him to turn around and see me, afraid that he would see that I wanted him to run to me.  So I watched him go in his classroom.  Then I came home and baked Hello Dolly squares.  Packed into each square is how much I missed them today.  I think a day of hookie for the three of us may be in the near future.


Close your eyes and maybe you can smell the chocolate chips too.

3 comments:

  1. I must try these Hello Dolly square, if only because I love the name (scuttles off to find the UK equivalent of Graham crackers). What a lovely thing for your 'little men' to come home to.

    Strawberry trifle reminds me of my grandmother- she used to make one every Saturday and it was my job to put the sprinkles on top. Rice pudding was my other grandmother's speciality, with a sprinkling of nutmeg on top.
    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, that is a sweet story- and your squares look great! I think I've had these before, but not for a very long time. I could go for one right now!! Looking forward to reading more of this blog- following you now. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.