Tuesday, October 5, 2010

On My Way to the Dentist . . .


I was on my way to the dentist this morning with 7 minutes to spare when I passed an older woman in a motorized wheelchair.  She was stopped on the side of the road in the pouring down rain.  No umbrella, no hood.  She was stooped down so low I couldn't see her face.  Instantly I knew something wasn't right.  You know that feeling.  My first instinct was to turn around and help her.  "But wait, there are cars going in her direction, I'm sure one of them will stop."  I look in my rearview mirror.  Nope.  By the time I turn around, she has started moving slowly so I keep driving.  "I'm going to be late for my appointment if I stop and I have no way to call the dental office.  Damn, Mike was right.  I should carry my cell phone.  Also what if she doesn't want my help?  What if she is offended?  She probably doesn't need my help."  I hate to admit this next part but a part of me also thought that what if this isn't what it looks like.  What if she isn't a feeble, old woman?  After all, I couldn't see her face.  I didn't want to think of what the alternative might be.  It's interesting how sometimes our fear will stop us from doing what we know we should.  


I was half an hour late for my appointment but it was okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment.