Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Yarn Along and Sour Candies


I'm joining Ginny for her Yarn Along this week.  On the needles, a pair of fingerless mittens.  I really enjoy knitting stripes lately.  I am still reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods which I am loving, just not finding enough reading time during a normal day.  After paying my sizable library finds, the boys and I are getting ready to start Charlie and The Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl.

My diet this week has largely been a fluid based diet -- tea, juice, broth.  See, I have an infected gland under my tongue (sublingual) and it's painful, especially when I eat.  It makes me grumpy, very grumpy, and I feel for those who have to live with me this week.  However, on the up side, my mom (who under different circumstances should have been a nurse and a wonderful one at that) was researching my condition which is often caused by a stone blocking the duct.  She called last night with the advice that eating sour candies sometimes kicks the salivary glands into overdrive, thus forcing the stone away.  Heck, I've just been given an excuse to eat my favourite candy.  The only problem is I don't have any candy and it's dark, very rainy and windy.  Ugh.  Standing ovation for Mike who agreed to change out of his pyjamas and go out into the rainy night to buy me candy.  I guess I made a good decision all those years ago.  I'm not feeling much better today but I do get to enjoy a sour candy every now and then -- guilt free.

9 comments:

  1. My husband gets this condition quite often and sour candies, lemon drops and believe it or not warm gingerale straight from the can so that it hasn't lost its oomph and gone flat help the most! Whats worse is that he can't stand anything sour, poor guy!
    I hope yours becomes unblocked soon!
    The stripes are looking great on those fingerless gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stripes & hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brown and blue, two of my favorite colors. Sorry to hear you are under the weather. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    Blessings, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the brown and teal...hope you feel better soon. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love all of roald dahl's children's books (his adult books - not so much), stripes, and sour candy myself! in fact we've been eating a bag of maynard's sour gums the past two days here... have you ever tried those? i feel less guilty because they don't have dyes and are infused with vegetable concentrates yet don't taste vegetabley at all. hope you get better fast. it sounds very unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing better than sour candy and stripes! Hope your mouth is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stripes are awesome, I love your color choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, that doesn't sound like fun. :-( Those colors look great together, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm popping over from the yarn along and wanted to say hi :) I love the brown and turquoise colors you are using! I actually have a pair of pink fingerless gloves on my needles right now to :) We love reading Dahl's books to. Such fun childrens books :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.