Tuesday, February 28, 2012

When Life Hands You Mushy Oatmeal . . .

make oatmeal muffins.


Last night, I decided to make oatmeal in the slow cooker.  Well, I did, as plan, wake up to a big pot of steaming oatmeal but it wan't quite what I had expected.  Maybe I should say it was what I expected, it was not what I had hoped.  I like my oatmeal to have a certain amount of texture.  The oatmeal that I woke up to this morning was very soft, mushy, even a little slimy.  Not at all appetizing.  I was now left with a big pot of gloppy oatmeal and an aversion to throwing out said oatmeal.

After a quick internet search and a little tweaking of ingredients, we were making muffins.

Leftover Oatmeal Muffins

1 cup flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
*1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
*4 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 cup leftover cooked oatmeal
1 teaspoon vanilla
a handful of chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line muffin tin.

Combine ground flax seed with 6 tablespoons water and set aside.

In a large bow, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and baking powder.   In another bowl, mix together the coconut oil, flax seed mixture, oatmeal and vanilla.  Add oatmeal mixture to flour mixture and combine just until combined.  Fold in chocolate chips.

Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake 20-25 minutes until top is set and toothpick comes out clean.

*The use of coconut oil and flax seed oil makes these muffins vegan (if you do not add the chocolate chips).  You can un-veganize the muffins by using 2 eggs, lightly beaten, in place of the flax seed and 1/2 cup butter, melted, in place of the coconut oil.

These are moist muffins.  The first time I made them I feared they were not baked completely.  Let them rest for an extra few minutes before tasting and trust the muffins.  The first time Mike saw the muffins, he had a doubtful look on his face because the muffins are kind of flat.  "Is it okay to eat them?"  Yep.  They are odd yet delicious.  Ignore that resounding endorsement.  They really are good.

So you knew what to do when life handed you lemons.  Now you know what to do with that leftover mass of oatmeal.  Enjoy.

 

5 comments:

  1. Yum! 've made oatmeal muffins (a different recipe) and I loved them! So good with a cup of coffee in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good!! I've yet to try making oatmeal in the crockpot...not sure I really want to now after reading your description...lol!

    Yum to the muffins though and bravo for not just throwing out the crockpot mishap. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU...do you know how many times I have thrown away a batch which I've made too much oatmeal...now I know what to do with it...and I'm the same...Oatmeal should NOT be mush!!!
    hugs
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a good way to make use of that oatmeal. i might even need to make oatmeal to try out the recipe, since i don't eat it normally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excited to try these! Love it that they're vegan = dairy-free for sure. Yum without the headache. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.